Sunday, October 21, 2007

Blog posting for Lu's "Professing Multiculturalism" POSTPONED until Friday

The blog posting for Monday's assigned reading (Min-Zhao Lu's "Professing Multiculturalism") will be postponed until Friday, October 26. (During the first half of Friday's class, we will discuss the article's implications for peer tutors, then you will meet with your peer tutoring conference group.)

I've discussed with some of you topics for the Inquiry Project. During Monday's class meeting, we will share potential topics and discuss requirements for the project. On Wednesday, October 24, we'll meet at the library instruction room to begin library research on your proposed Inquiry Project topic.

To prepare for tomorrow's class, please read the Inquiry Project Description, which is posted on the Course Documents page of the English 401 Blackboard. You may post your initial topic ideas as comments to this page. During the second half of Monday's class meeting, you'll do some in-class writing and invention to discover what you already know about your topic as well as what you want to discover.

See you Monday morning. Please email me with questions or concerns at bridgeto@elmhurst.edu.

9 comments:

crystal said...

I think that I want to discover if there is a correlation between skilled writers and reading levels. I believe that people who read well and learn to read young grow to be skilled writers.

Anonymous said...

I think I want to look at specifically something like the "5 paragraph essay" and research if its really "so horrible" and if it really does "suppress the writer and their creativity," and if so is there is a better way to teach students how to write an academic paper? B/c personally I don't think this model is so horrible! But maybe thats b/c I'm so used to it that if it was taken away from me I wouldn't know what to do? Not sure yet...

Susan said...

I would like to do my inquiry project on academic discourse and the disadvantages of writing in the specified style this discourse commonly calls for. I would like to research and argue that academic discourse and the style of academic papers is unnecessary and alienating. (As I suggest in my most recent blog.)

bMerle said...

well, for some reason I can not open the course document for this project, but I think I would like to do something regarding the barriers/problems concerning inter-cultural discourse in academic writing. i dont know, we'll see.

KOpal said...

Dr. O'Rourke,

As we discussed before, I have an interest in writing about the correlation between reading skills and learning to write.

I noticed Crystal is interested in using the same topic; are we both allowed to do this or should I consider something else?

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei seu blog pelo google está bem interessante gostei desse post. Gostaria de falar sobre o CresceNet. O CresceNet é um provedor de internet discada que remunera seus usuários pelo tempo conectado. Exatamente isso que você leu, estão pagando para você conectar. O provedor paga 20 centavos por hora de conexão discada com ligação local para mais de 2100 cidades do Brasil. O CresceNet tem um acelerador de conexão, que deixa sua conexão até 10 vezes mais rápida. Quem utiliza banda larga pode lucrar também, basta se cadastrar no CresceNet e quando for dormir conectar por discada, é possível pagar a ADSL só com o dinheiro da discada. Nos horários de minuto único o gasto com telefone é mínimo e a remuneração do CresceNet generosa. Se você quiser linkar o Cresce.Net(www.provedorcrescenet.com) no seu blog eu ficaria agradecido, até mais e sucesso. (If he will be possible add the CresceNet(www.provedorcrescenet.com) in your blogroll I thankful, bye friend).

Unknown said...

I am interested in templates and whether or not they stifle creativity. ALso, along he way I will see how useful they are and what not. I don't know for sure yet but I know it will focus around templates.

hasst said...

I am interested in exploring methods currently used in the pre-secondary education, focusing specifically on seventh and eighth grades. What is being done to prepare students for the level of writing they will be expected to do in high school? I want to speak to instructors regarding what methods are currently in use and what the benefits of those methods are. If a student doesn't respond well to a "template" what else can be done to teach writing?

Lindsay said...

I would be interested in exploring differences in gender writing and/or speaking (communication aspect).
I would also be interested in learning about voice and audience in the academic discourse and communications discourse.